Homework / Term Project Instructions:
- Term project: Panel Instructions.
- Panel Evaluation Form (your panel should print out 2 copies of this, fill out the top, and give them to me on the day of presentation).
- Self-Ratings on the Big 5 Personality Traits and Facets
- Psychological Assessment: Test Taking Instructions
- Test Critique Homework. See a sample test critique.
- Psychological Report Writing Instructions
- Feedback to the author of the psychological report
- Self interpretation of psychological tests and reports
Optional computer tutorials can be downloaded here.
Previous Article or Book Chapter Summaries and Critiques by Students
Vocational / Career:
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentatation of Gati, I., Saka, N., Krausz, M. (2001). ‘Should I use a computer-assisted career guidance system?’ depends on where your career decision-making difficulties lie. British Journal of Guidance & Counseling, 29. Review by Leslie Frassel, Thomas Blashaw, & Bethany Sills. Spring 2004.
- Summary and Powerpoint of Randahl, G., Hansen, J., & Haverkamp, B. (1993). Instrumental Behaviors Following Test Administration and Interpretation: Exploration Validity of the Strong Interest Inventory. Journal of Counseling and Development, 71, 435-439. Review by Lily Soltero, Julia Baird, Alheli Miranda, and Ana Arias. Spring, 2004.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Miller, Mark J. (1994). An assessment of the effect of vocational exploration on career decision making. Journal of Employment Counseling, 31, 137-143. Reviewed by Margaux Elliott, Mariesa Duggan, and Palmer Thornton. Fall, 2003
- Summary and PowerPoint Presentation of Tracey, T., & Darcy, M. (2002). An idiothetic examination of vocational interests and their relation to career decidedness. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 49(4). Gina Jenkins, Heather Unger, Devyn Bolden, and Maggie McCartney. Fall, 2003.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Holland, J.L., Johnston, J.A., Asama, N.F., Polys, S.M. (1993). Validating and using the career beliefs inventory. Journal of Career Development, Vol 9(4). Review by Alexandra Alonzo, Melissa Masoni, Evangelina Orozco, and Jennifer Phinney. Fall, 2002.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Jones, W. P., Harbach, R. L., Coker, J. K., & Staples, P. A. (2002, September). Web-assisted vocational test interpretation. Journal of Employment Counseling, 39, 127-137. Review by by Beth Dorso, Angel Lomboy, Monica Saydak, and Amanda Uribe. Fall, 2002.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Heppner, M. J., & Hendricks, F. (1995). A Process and Outcome Study Examining Career Indecision and Indecisiveness. Journal of Counseling and Development, 73, 4, 426-38. By Daniel Rodriguez, Brian Marsee, Lorena Yepez, Maria Garibay (Spring 2002).
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Lucas (1999). Adult career changers: a developmental context. Journal of Employment Counseling. by Balooch, Condos, Graham & Wicke (Fall 2001).
- Summary and Powerpoint presentation of Furham, A., Drakeley, R. (2000). Predicting Occupational Personality Test Scores. Journal of Psychology, . By Fernandez, Green, Shymanski, & Zamora (Fall 2001).
- Summary of Craig, R.J. & Olson, R.E. (2001). Adjectival Descriptions of Personality Disorders: A Convergent Validity Study of the MCMI-III. Journal of Personality Assessment, 77 (2) 259-271. Reiew by Jill Dobens, Greta Kent-Stoll, Jennie Leonard and Myka Peck. Fall, 2002
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Buchanan, T., & Smith, J. (1999) Using the Internet for psychological research: Personality testing on the World Wide Web. British Journal of Psychology, Feb 99, Vol. 90, Issue 1, 125, 20. By Cris J. Costa & Irene Shipkova (Spring 2002).
- Summary and Powerpoint presentation of Gat & McWhirter (1998). Personality characteristics of competitive and recreational cyclists. By Dolan, McNeil, Wiseman & Bonilla (Fall 2001).
Clinical/Counseling (objective tests):
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Bagby, R.M., Rogers, R., Nicholson, R., Buis,T, Seeman, M.V., Rector N. (1997). Does clinical training facilitate schizophrenia on the MMPI-2. Psychological Assessment, 9(2), 106-112. Review by Valerie Gutierrez, Vynette Moore, and April Osback. Fall, 2003.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Gunsalus, A. C., & Nelly, K. R., (2001). Korean cultural influences on the millon clinical multiaxial inventory-III. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 23(2), pp. 151-162. By Jon Doyle, Kristen Gage, Matt Mellos, Carissa Contreras. Fall, 2002.
- Summary and Powerpoint presentation of Miach, P. et al. (2000). Utility of the MMPI-2 in assessing gender dysphoric patients. Journal of Personality Assessment. Summary by Laura Vargas, Sara Casillas, Marysol López, Carina Díaz (Fall 2001).
- Summary and Powerpoint presentation of Diduca, D. and Joseph, S. (1997). Schizotypal traits and dimensions of religiosity. British Journal of Clinical Psychology. By James Crissey, Rebecca Gaffny Brown , Mahana Chang. (Fall 2001).
- PowerPoint presentation of Projective Testing debate. Pro Debators: Molly Weston, Nina Losorelli and Bethany Sills. Con Debators: Nika Williams, Jennice Pamilton, and Nicole Murph. Moderator: Gabriela Pelaez. Spring, 2004.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Smith, Gavin M(1985). The Collaborative Drawing Technique. Journal of Personality Assessment. Vol 49(6), 582-585. Review by Amy Kawecki, Emily Noll, and Joe Legacy. Fall, 2003.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Smith, D., & Dumont F. (1995). A cautionary study: Unwarranted interpretations of the draw-a-person test. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 23, 298-303. Review by Katie Champagne, Olivia Flach, Vanessa Flores, and Lauren Hood. Fall, 2003
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation Lilienfeld, S. O., Wood, J. M., & Garb, H. N. (2001). What’s wrong with this picture. Scientific American, 284 (5), 80-87. Virginia Huynh, Isaac Huang, Erica Olsen, and Liz Beck. Fall, 2003.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Weiner, B., Irving. (2000). Making Rorschach interpretation as good as it can be. Journal of Personality Assessment, 74, 164-175. Summary by Tim Devereaux, Kelli Micheao, Alexander Martin, Mia Hultga (Spring 2002).
- Summary of and Powerpoint presentation of Rorschach Assessment of Malevolence in Sexually Abused Girls Journal of Personality Assessment. Summary by Rocío G. Castillo, Yuvikza Romero, Julia De Leon, Christian Arenas, Aimee Gonzales. (Fall 2001).
- Summary of The Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology (2001). Assessment: Clinical Testing of Adults. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 16, 255-269. Summary by Cristina Collazo, Michelle Young, Merika Adams, Stephene Porras. Spring, 2004
- Powerpoint Presentation of Williams, Arthur (2001). Psychometric concerns in neuropsychological testing. Neuro Rehabilitation 16. Review by Joseph Cicchino, Colleen Clougherty, Jorge De La Torre and Raul Espinoza Jr. Fall, 2002.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Leahy, B, & Lam, C. (date?). Neuropsychological Testing and Functional Outcome for Individuals with traumatic Brain Injury. Review by James Reid, Elizabeth Hughes, Artesia McDaniel, and Mike Farrell. Fall, 2002.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation.of Kovner, R., Budman, C., Frank, Y., Sison, C., Lesser, M., & Halperin, J. (1998). Neuropsychological testing in adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a pilot study. International Journal of Neuroscience, 96, 225-236. By Emma Zeledon, Susie Boersma, Brandon Joffe, Cordelia Wolf (Spring 2002).
- Summary and PowerPoint of Berscheid, E., Snyder, M., & Omoto, A.M. (1989). The Relationship Closeness Inventory: Assessing the Closeness of Interpersonal Relationships. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57, 792 - 807. Review by Megan Blazek and Leslie Wheeler (Summer, 2004)
- Summary and Powerpoint of Freeston, M., & Plechaty, M. (1977). Reconsideration of the Locke-Wallace Marital Adjustment Test: Is it still relevant for the 1990's? Psychological Reports, 81, 419-434. Review by Fatima Coley, Elisabeth Hopkins, Jennice Pamilton, and Nakia Williams. Spring, 2004.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Fowers, Blaine J., Olson, David H. (1986). Predicting Marital Success with PREPARE: A Predictive Validity Study. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, vol 12, No. 4. 403-413. Review by Aracely Miron, Aylin Atabek, Elissa Vaidman, and Qiana LaCroix. Fall 2003.
- Summary and Power Point Presentation of Larson, J. H., Newell, K., Topham. G., & Nichols, S. (2002). A review of three comprehensive premarital assessment questionnaires. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 28, 233-249. Review by Ana Moraga, Page Patten, Katie McKeon, and Sandy Escobar. Fall 2003.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Crane, D.R. & Middletone, K.C. (Jan-Mar 2002). Establishing criterion scores for the Kansas Marital Satisfaction Scale and The Revised Dyadic Adjustment Scale Review by Diana Corral, Jessica Flores, Patricia Lopez, Rose Peskin, and Cristina Zavaleta. Fall, 2002.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Russell Crane, D., Soderquist, J.N., Frank, R.L. (1995). Predicting divorce at therapy intake: a preliminary model, The American Journal of Family Therapy, 23:3, 227-236. Review by Liz Price, Gina Bright, Alana Williams and Jolie Randal. Fall, 2002.
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation.of R.L. Beck and A. Bishop Crawford (2000). The Couple Assessment Summary: A Bridge from Assessment to Treatment. Summary by Kateri Broussard, Lara Perry, Maribel Pulido, Cleo Kades (Spring 2002).
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation of Douglass, F.M., & Douglass, R., (1995). “The Marital Problems Questionnaire” Family Relations, 44, 238-244. Summary by Meghan Emmert and Andrea Lord (Spring 2002).
- Summary and Powerpoint presentation of Douglass IV, F., & Douglass, R. (1995). The Marital Problems Questionnaire (MPQ), a short screening instrument for marital therapy. Summary by Tracy Alvarez, Judith Hinojosa, Miriam Kassabgui, & Diana Pena (Fall 2001).
- Summary of Guest Speaker, Kim Martin, presentation regarding Personnel Testing. Presentation given on 03/16/04. Panel Members: Elisabeth Hopkins, Lily Soltero, Ana Arias, Julia Baird, and Alheli Miranda. Spring, 2004.
- Summary and Power Point Presentation of Arthur, W. Jr., Woehr, D.J., & Graziano, W. (2001). Personality testing in employment settings: Problems and issues in the application of typical selection practices. Personnel Review, 2001, Vol. 30, Issue 5/6, 657. 20. Ivan Ehlers, and Elizabeth Moses. Fall, 2003.
- Summary of Guest Speaker, Jonathan O’Brien’s, presentation regarding Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Presentation given on 10/30/03. Panel Members: Gina Jenkins, Maggie McCartney, Brandon Parks, Jill Cornelio, and Isaac. Fall, 2003.
- Summary and PowerPoint of Powers, D. E., Kaufman, J. C. (2004). Do standardized tests penalize deep-thinking, creative, or conscientious students? Some personality correlates of Graduate Record Examinations test scores. Intelligence, 32, 145-153. Review by Priya Tharayal, Therese Zettel, and Elspeth Cardin (Summer, 2004)
- Powerpoint Presentation of Debate: Keep SAT in its Current Form or Reconstruct it? Pro (keep it): Jill Dobens, Myka Peck and James Reid. Con (revise it): Jessica Flores, Patricia Lopez, and Rose Peskin. Fall, 2002.
- Summary and Powerpoint presentation of Clayton (2001). In student test scores, a wider gap. Christian Science Monitor. Summary by Heather Digby, Carina Echeverria, Kristen Bush, and Lisa Pawloski (Fall 2001).
- Summary and Powerpoint Presentation Knauss, L. K. (date?) Ethical Issues in Psychological Assessment in School Settings Reviewed by Edna Davoudi, Nilo Dutton, Alexandra Lima, Boubolina Lozano, & Luky Pongquan. Fall, 2002.
Test Construction, Development and Revision:
- Summary and Power Point Presentation of Adams, K.M. (2000). Practical and ethical issues pertaining to test revisions. Psychological Assessment, (12)3, 281-286. Review by Jill Cornelio, Brandon Parks, Haleigh Roach, and Jamie Shoma. Fall 2003.
Ethics / Legal Issues:
- Summary and Powerpoint of Knauss, L.K. (2001). Ethical Issues in Psychological Assessment in School Settings. Journal of Personality Assessment. 77(2), 231-241. Reviewed by Nicole Murph, Melissa Guzman, Ed Cruz, and Gabriela Pelaez. Spring, 2004.
TITLE: Introduction to Testing
COURSE NO.: PSYC 442
PROFESSOR: Dr. Mills
Pre-requisite(s): PSYC 241
To familiarize students with concepts of testing, including testing statistics, administration procedures, test validation, as well as present an overview of current psychological tests.
This course offers an examination of psychological assessment, including principles of assessment interviewing, test selection, evaluation and report writing, as well test construction and standardization. Ability, interest, personality, vocational, marital and clinical tests will be examined.
- Text(s) and/or required readings:
McIntire, S.A. & Miller, L.A. (2000) Foundations of Psychological Testing. Boston: McGraw Hill. (required)
McIntire, S.A. & Miller, L.A. (200) Student Study Guide to Accompany Foundations of Psychological Testing. Boston: McGraw Hill. (optional)
- Course format:
Lecture, discussion, demonstrations, films/videos.
- Course Work:
Two midterms and a final examination. Also, students will self-administer several psychological tests, and complete a project related to psychological testing.
- Suitability as elective for non-major:
Yes: No: X